This recipe uses chicken that has been smoked in a stovetop smoker, which adds a very delicious and complex flavor to the pot pie profile. When you have a smoked chicken pot pie soup with pie croutons, you are able to have all the best parts of a pot pie, but with the ratios you want. Do you like the crust? Do you ever get enough when you have a regular pot pie? Well, if the answer is no, then you’ll want to load up on pie croutons!
This soup is very rich and tastes decadent, but does not have nearly as much butter and cream as some recipes that are similar you will find. I’m looking at you, Chrissy Teigen! I promise you won’t miss the 4 sticks of butter and lots of heavy cream! But, even though it has less fat, it is by no means a diet recipe, so just keep that in mind!
The equipment I use to smoke chicken in my kitchen is the Nordic Ware 365 Kettle Smoker . There are other brands of stovetop smokers, but this is my favorite and my stovetop smoker recipes are specifically designed for this specific equipment. However, they could be adapted for other smokers. Also, if you have an outdoor smoker, by all means- use that to smoke your chicken! I have a kitchen in the city with no outdoor space so, this is just how I do things!
You don’t have to cut out pretty little leaves, but if you want to you can look for something like these leaf cutters. The alternative is that you can use a pizza cutter and just cut strips or triangles into the pie dough and bake them like that. It will still be delicious and get the job done!
Smoked Chicken Pot Pie Soup with Pie Croutons
- Nordic Ware 365 Kettle Smoker
- 1 lb chicken breasts
- 1 tsp poultry seasoning
- 4 Tbsp butter
- 3 stalks celery diced
- 1 medium onion diced
- 3 carrots peeled and diced
- 4 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 4 cups Chicken broth
- 1 cup half and half
- 3 medium yukon gold potatoes chopped
- 1 10 ounce package of frozen peas and carrots
- salt and pepper
- 1 package frozen pie dough thawed
To smoke the chicken:
- In your Nordic Ware indoor smoker, place about 1-2 Tablespoons of wood chips in the center of the bottom of the smoker.
- Cover the drip tray in aluminum foil (for easy clean up) and place in the bottom of the smoker.
- Place the top tray in the smoker and then season the chicken breasts with salt and pepper and then place on the tray.
- Put the lid on the smoker and make sure the thermometer isn't touching anything.
- Turn the on the burner to medium high heat.
- Monitor the temperature on the thermometer and make sure it stays within the optimal range on designated on the thermometer.
- Remove lid after about 30 minutes and check to see if the chicken is cooked (165 degrees internal temperature)
- Set chicken aside to rest
For pie croutons:
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Unroll the pie dough on a floured surface. You can use pie or cookie cutters if you want to make shapes, or you can use a pizza cutter to cut simple squares or triangles.
- Place pie croutons on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and bake for 7-10 minutes. keep an eye on them!
For the soup:
- Melt butter in a large pot on medium heat.
- Add onion, celery and carrot, stirring occasionally until tender (about 3-4 minutes).
- Stir in poultry seasoning and stir for about 1 minute.
- Whisk in flour until lightly browned (about 1-2 minutes).
- Stir in chicken stock, half and half and potatoes.
- Reduce the heat to medium low and simmer, partially covered, 10 minutes.
- Add the peas and simmer until the vegetables are tender, about 6 minutes.
- Shred or chop the chicken and return to the pot.